Dapsone (Acnedap Gel) 5% Gel is a sulfone that is active against a wide variety of bacteria and protozoa, but mostly used as a medication against leprosy-causing diseases caused by Mycobacterium leprae. Each gel contains 5% of Dapsone as its active ingredient.
Drug = Dapsone
Strength = 5%
How to use
Dapsone is available in 2 forms: tablet and gel.
For the gel: It is applied on the lesion twice a day
It is usually applied twice a day, in the morning and in the evening. Best to use at the same time each day.
Dosage of Dapsone (Acnedap Gel) 5%
Adult: >12 years old : 5% gel: Squeeze a pea sized amount on your clean hands and apply on the affected area twice daily. Make sure that the area of application is clean and dry. Improvement is seen in 12 weeks.
Missed Dose of Dapsone (Acnedap Gel) 5%
In the event that you miss an application, apply as soon as you remember and adjust the timing. Resume the usual timing the next day.
Overdose of Dapsone (Acnedap Gel) 5%
If you have used Dapsone more than the recommended dose, please seek medical help immediately.
People with the following medical conditions should not take Dapsone:
- Hypersensitivity to any of its component
- Severe anemia
Side Effects of Dapsone (Acnedap Gel) 5%
Dapsone may have the following side effects:
- Dryness, redness and irritation on the area of application
- Excessive oil
- Peeling at the application site
Potentially Fatal side effects:
- Decrease in the production of white blood cells which predisposes the individual to infection
- Serious cutaneous hypersensitivity reactions
- Exfoliative dermatitis
Do not take Dapsone with the following medicines:
Always inform your physician if you are taking any medications that can be bought over the counter or other herbal food supplements.
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Dapsone.
How Does It Work?
Dapsone inhibits the synthesis of folic acid by preventing the normal use of para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA) by bacteria, which is an essential substance to sustain their development. Dapsone has both anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive properties and is approved for the treatment of leprosy by the World Health Organization (WHO).
Dapsone is used to treat the following conditions:
- Prophylaxis of Pneumocystis (carinii) jiroveci pneumonia
- Multibacillary and paucibacillary leprosy
Special Precautions and Warnings
Take special precautions if you have the following conditions:
- Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase deficiency
- Methemoglobin or Hb M
- Regular monitoring of complete blood counts and liver function
- Pregnancy and lactation
- Topical Gel: Store between 20-25°C. Do not place in the freezer.
- Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
- Do not use after the date indicated in the bottom of the packaging