DESLORATADINE (Dazit) 5 mg tablet is a second generation antihistamine with a selective inhibitory activity released by histamine in the peripheral circulation. As compared to other antihistamines, it has a longer effect but is non-sedating.
Drug = Desloratadine
Strength = 5 mg
How to take
Desloratadine is available in four forms: tablet, extended release tablet, orally disintegrating tablet and oral solution.
For extended release (ER) tablet: Take it as a whole. DO NOT break, chew or crush the tablet
For orodispersible tablet:
- Remove it from the foil right before you take it. Do not leave exposed to air for long. Break the seal using your fingertips. DO NOT use the tablet to open the foil as it will break apart.
- Place the orodispersible tablet directly on your tongue as soon as it is taken out of the foil. The tablet will melt in your mouth. Once it has completely melted, you can swallow it without water.DO NOT cut, break or crush the orodispersible tablets.
Dosage of DESLORATADINE (Dazit) 5 mg Tablet
Adult: 5 mg once daily.
Missed Dose of DESLORATADINE (Dazit) 5 mg Tablet
In the event that the dose is missed, take the tablet immediately and skip the dose for the day. Resume taking the medication the next day at the same time.
Inform your doctor for dose readjustment.
Overdose of DESLORATADINE (Dazit) 5 mg Tablet
If you have taken Desloratadine more than the prescribed dose, observe for possible side effects. If so, seek immediate medical
There is no data available for contraindications of Desloratadine.
Side Effects of DESLORATADINE (Dazit) 5 mg Tablet
Desloratadine may have the following side effects:
- Dry mouth
- Body weakness and pains
- Increased sleeping time
- Headache/ Dizziness
- Nausea/ vomiting
- Increased appetite
- Upper respiratory tract symptoms(cough, nosebleeding, bronchitis, rhinorrhea)
- Mood swings
Do not take Desloratadine with the following medicines:
Inform your clinician if you are taking over the counter and herbal medications.
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Desloratadine.
How Does It Work?
Desloratadine works by inhibiting pro-inflammatory mediators from releasing human mast cells and basophils. It competes with free histamine to bind H1 receptors that block endogenous histamine to the gastrointestinal, blood vessel, and bronchial smooth muscle, resulting in temporary relief of adverse symptoms such as nasal congestion.
Desloratadine is used to treat the following conditions:
- Allergic reactions
Special Precautions and Connected Warnings
Take special precautions if you have the following conditions:
- Hepatic and renal impairment
- Pregnant and lactating women
- Store between 15-30°C.
- Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
- Do not use Desloratadine after the date printed on the bottom of the packaging